Friday 24 June 2016

Daft as a Brush Garden Party


I'm always really pleased to hear from Brian Burnie as we go back a long way and I love him to bits.  I was delighted when he asked if I would come along to sing and entertain for the Daft as a Brush Garden Party.  This yearly event is an amazing chance to meet the volunteers, people who have donated and offered their help for this fantastic local charity.  Daft as a Brush Cancer Patient Care offers staffed custom-made vehicles to transport outpatients, free of charge, to and from hospital who are undergoing Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy cancer treatment.  


daft as a brush cancer patients care
Me by the gates at the Daft as a Brush entrance

It was a fabulous day and thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome, it was great to catch up with you all again.  The food was outstanding as usual and even weather did its part as it turned out pretty nice in the end.  It was good to see everyone getting stuck in, having a laugh and really enjoying themselves.  


everyone enjoying themselves at daft as a brush garden party
Everyone posing for a photo by the marquee



I entertained and sang to everyone throughout the day but think the Hokey Cokey was the one to get people off their feet and in the party spirit.  My son Ryan came along to film me which was great, even if he did get a little carried away joining in with the words!  







The highlight for me on the day was going up in the cherry picker with Brian. This was a first for me and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  At first I was not quite sure what I was install for, but I am never one to avoid a challenge.  We climbed aboard and started to set up my guitar and microphone as the gathering crowd looked on in stunned surprise. 


christine deponio and brian burnie in a cherry picker
Me and Brian getting into the cherry picker 
going up in a cherry picker with brian burnie from daft as a brush
Getting ready to perform as the cherry picker starts to raise


up 30m in a cherry picker singing for the daft as a brush garden party
Me 33 metres up singing to the crowd

It was a fabulous experience and one I certainly will not forget.  Overall I had a great day and hope everyone else did too.  Brian you're a real star and doing an amazing job along with all your dedicated volunteers.  It was also a day to celebrate as Daft as a Brush received the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service in recognition of the outstanding work they do for the community.  This really is a huge honour as it is the highest award a voluntary group can receive in the UK.  To learn more about the Queen's award click here.

christine and brian from daft as a brush
Me an Brian Burnie founder of Daft as a Brush


I would recommend volunteering for Daft as a Brush as they really do make a big difference to a lot of peoples lives and are an excellent organisation to work with.  They really depend on volunteers support to operate their transport service, as well run their shop in Eldon Square and for much needed fundraising.  

It cost approximately, £100,000 per year to run the the Daft as a Brush Service.  If you would like to donate it is very easy and a link can be found by clicking here.  

If you are local you may want to help them out with a few hours a week or maybe longer, just click here for further information on how you can help.

We had a fantastic time at the Garden Party and I would definitely do this again as we had a real laugh for a great cause.  I look forward to catching up with all the lovely friends I met thereboth old and new, in the near future. 






If you would like to learn more about Daft as a Brush and the work they do you can visit their website at:

http://www.daftasabrush.org.uk

And also find them on Facebook and Twitter.




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment